April 9, 2013

The Florida Trip

We are back and recovered from our trip to Florida.  It went really well despite my worries about taking the trip by myself.  Other than the usual “kid” complaints, the car trip there and back went very smoothly. 

I am so thankful for the help and support I received while in Florida.  And, while this may seem common place to some, it is quite a change for me.  We are here, in Atlanta, without any family.  While it is our choice to be here, it is very easy to become accustomed to doing most things without any help.  So, having help on this trip was a nice departure for me.
It also gave me the chance to look at things very differently.   Too see things as I remembered them, but to see them in a completely different light.  I’ve grown since being in Florida. I grew up in Florida – spent the first 25 years of my life there.  And, as much as I remember specific landmarks or scenery, I SEE it completely differently. 
While there, I took quite a trip down memory lane – to the places and instances of being on the beach, eating at favorite restaurants, hanging out with friends.  I remembered the way old coastal buildings smell – like a mixture of the sea and aged timber.  It is a beautiful smell:  historic and encompassing.
The beach sand under-foot on the hard wood floors of our Bread and Breakfast room was reminiscent of days spent with family and friends at the beach; casual, laid-back and completely relaxing.  These were the days before bustling Destin or Seaside.  These were the days of Old Florida. 
Our B&B room was aptly named “Old Florida”.  It contained nostalgic pictures of the way Florida looked way-back-when.  The days when Weeki Wachee was the place you went on vacation, and going Wakulla Springs included a trip to see Big Al, the alligator.  Disney World was on the list, but that was saved for your “big vacation” later on, sometime down the road.
 
In Florida, nature is presented in sea shells and ground-level palm fronds growing among scrubby bushes.   The beach sand is actually white (!), and is wonderfully powdery.  Spanish moss hangs from ancient Oak trees and sways with the wind.  It is quiet, and you can see most all of the stars at night – especially at the beach. 
I am so grateful for this trip, for the help I received while in Florida, and for the opportunity to slow down.  I REMEMBERED! And, that is the best part of all. 
Congratulations to my sister and her husband!  Y’all deserved a special day surrounded by family, friends and beauty.  Oh, and, it’s about time you guys got married!

No comments:

Post a Comment